Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Giving in


One day while we were vacationing, we came across a candy store. The children begged for caramel apples. Mind you we had just spent $50 on hot dogs for these same children, (Pier 39=tourist trap) but my dear husband could not resist the pleas of our sweet offspring. So he plunked down the money, all $15 dollars, for 3 apples dipped in Kraft caramels.
If you've never eaten a caramel apple you don't realize how top heavy these things are. And the only thing holding it up is a tiny little lollipop stick. And they are really sticky. And you have to bite really hard to get through the apple. And it's probably not the best thing to eat while walking through a crowded pier.
As we were walking away from this candy store, I helped Cannon get to the apple part of his caramel apple by taking a large bite. In handing it back, this $5 apple fell on the ground. To the ground. You should have seen his sad little face. I quickly picked it up and dusted it off and looked for the closest place where I could wash it off. While I was doing this Emme hands me her partially eaten apple, apparently done. Then Chance hands me his. All in all, we spent $15 for about 8 bites of caramel apples. Not that I'm keeping track.
Trying hard not to be frustrated with the ridiculous amount of money now wasted, we head back to the car, the apples forgotten.
But not before stopping at the donut stand for a bag.
My husband is such a sucker.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally laughing. Sometimes I wish my husband was a sucker. Were the donuts good? We wanted to get some and never did, but they smelt delish!

Megan said...

Ooohhh How my heart is aching for those discarded caramel apples and how good they would taste about now!

Melony said...

Kristy-the donuts were soooo good. I highly recommend them the next time you are on the Pier. Not super sweet like a Krispy Kreme, more like funnel cake sprinkled with sugar. Very very good.
Megan-I had saved them in my purse for a day because I didn't have the heart to throw them out. Do you know what happens to half eaten caramel apples after a day. Yuck. We'll need to get together and make some soon.