Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Words of Wisdom

The other day my family and I were in the car when, as usual, the kids started acting silly and out of control. Mike and I, trying to have a conversation, ignored it as long as we could until I remind them that they need to quiet down. Nothing. I say it again. It's like I'm invisible. Finally Mike asks them what happens when they get out of control and act crazy, and all three of my children quiet down and answer, in unison no less, "Something gets broken or someone gets hurt." I look at my husband in disbelief, while he just grins. When did the children not only listen to him, but take the time to memorize the oft used phrase so that they could repeat it back? I am amazed and a little jealous. I want a saying.
A couple days later it happens again. Chance is trying to do something with his new videogame and is having a hard time. He comes into our bedroom and complains that he can't do it, it's just too hard. Mike asks him what are the two things he can do. Chance answers, "Give up or keep trying." Mike asks which he is going to do, and he says, "Keep trying." He goes back to try again, while I just shake my head. My husband is a Confucious of parental wisdom, while I'm just the lady who tells them to clean their rooms.

2 comments:

liz said...

don't forget you are the lady who births them and feeds them, too! 3 things- moms are good for THREE things, not just one! ;-)

good post

Rachael said...

That's pretty amazing. I need a Mike here to remind me of those.