Tuesday, October 03, 2006

FHE

Yesterday was FHE and in anticipation, I decided to make a pretty great treat. Not the usual rice krispy treats, or ice cream, or popsicles, all which have been used many times each because its what I have on hand. I actually planned ahead this time. I layered cherry pie filling with chocolate pudding and whipped cream in sundae glasses, you know, so you could see all the layers. Five of these parfaits were in the fridge when the kids got home from school. You should've seen them salivate. They could not wait for dad to get home and start FHE. By the time Mike gets here, eats dinner, and we start, it's kinda late. And then we ran into our usual sitting still problems that we have every week for FHE. I don't know why, but our children cannot physically stay calm and still for a five minute lesson. It is mind boggling, and a little frustrating. So after I was done with our lesson I told them they had behaved okay, but not great. They had earned one parfait which they could share. Man, you should've seen their faces fall. They were heartbroken. Not wanting to permenently damage their little souls, I gave them a chance at redemption. Three kids, arms folded, feet still, looking at me, for the next few minutes while I dragged out the lesson as far as I could. Mike called me a wus for not sticking to my guns and making them share, but how could I? FHE is supposed to equate to wholesome family recreation, not frustrating angry punishments. It's true, I am a wussy butterfly dancer. Plus, pudding parfaits don't save.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

I was a wussy butterfly dancer the other day and now people won't stop calling me names. Just walking down the street people are like, "Haha! Wussy Butterfly dancer failed her midterms! Haha!"

At least I have a sense of humor, right?

liz said...

GOOD decision! I need to use that tactic with teh 2 year old!