Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Tonight we celebrate


A funny thing happened yesterday. I received a phone call from the school, which always makes me worry. It's Em's teacher. She wants to tell me that Emme is student of the month. I smile, knowing how happy Emme will be. She loves this kind of thing, as she's been student of the month before. I can't wait to tell her.
My dearest picks the kids up from school. He walks in and says "Guess what, Chance is student of the month!". I correct him, no it's Emme. No, he says, it's Chance. I, getting a little irritated that the father of my children doesn't know their teachers, insist that he's wrong. Emme's teacher called me, I say, it's for Emme. He looks at me and tells me that after school Chance told him his teacher wanted to see him. He walked into her classroom and she told him that she had chosen Chance as SOTM, and that there would be a ceremony on Tuesday evening. We looked at each other. We realize we have two SOTM and grin.
Now if you're thinking, gosh, you guys are those kind of parents, the kind that aspire to have kids that are SOTM, well then you would be wrong. I always laughed at those bumper stickers that said "My kid beat up your Student of the Month", knowing how dumb the real SOTM stickers were. Don't get me wrong, I want my children to excell, or at least do their best. But the pressure isn't on for awards and such.
However, when someone else realizes that your child is as amazing as you've always thought, well, you can't help but be extremely proud. Almost enough to find room on your bumper for the sticker. Almost.

4 comments:

Beka said...

I love the ones that say "My dog can beat up your honor student". Tell Emme and Chance congrats. What else does SOTM entitle?

Melony said...

Not only do we get a bumper sticker, there is also a pencil denoting Super Student, and a printed award signed, personally, by the pricipal and the president of the FPAC(akin to PTO). But perhaps the most exciting thing a SOTM receives is s/he is entered into the running for Student of the Year. We will be waiting on pins and needles to find out if we have achieved that honor.

Beka said...

WELL THEN. Being student of the month sounds like a high honor. Is there an Award ceremony for SOTY? Do they have categories? Do the kids get to give speechs if they win? And can I go if there is one?

liz said...

wow congrats to em and chance!

i laugh at those stickers, too.