Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Box folding champion

My significant other and I have had many trials in our 10 years, usually of the monetary type. We have never been poverty stricken, but we've always struggled. Even after he landed the job he had been trying to get for years, it still didn't seem like we'd ever see an end to our financial woes. (It takes a long time to fill the grand canyon with one small shovel-full of dirt at a time.) One thing that I can be fully grateful for is a husband who is not too proud to work, even at the most menial of jobs. He's done things I couldn't imagine for the sake of our family. (Don't worry, I've never pimped him out, although I bet I could make some good money) But it seemed like no matter what we did, we could never get ahead. There were always cars to fix, which he learned how to do, and doctors to visit, thank goodness for our health insurance. We seemed to be making headway recently, although slowly.
So when he came home one day last week and said he had gotten a job delivering pizzas, I was aghast. Why oh why would he want to do that?! Delivering pizzas was something he had done while we were in school. It was good money and free pizza, but he quit to go to grad school, and I thought we were done with it. It seemed like such an unlikely thing for a college professor to be doing, and I was embarassed. But he takes more of an interest in our situation than I do, and he said we needed it. Plus he's not too proud to do things like that, and I am.
So yesterday he went out in his official uniform, off to feed the masses. When he came home he told me how he was running circles around all the other guys. And how he can fold boxes better than anyone there. I was proud, but this time it was because of him.

1 comment:

liz said...

I love this post melanie.