Friday, January 05, 2007

Just say no

I've never been a big fan of taking all my children shopping with me. It usually ends up with children everywhere and me gritting my teeth til we get to the car and I can give them whatfor. In order to avoid this catastrophe, I leave at least some of them home while I get my errands done. Only in an emergency do I venture out with all four. Today was one.
I've put off buying a blessing dress for our littlest, thinking in the back of my mind that I would make one. Yeah, that didn't happen. So here we are two days before and with one day packed full of activities. Dad's at work. Dang. Off we go.
It didn't start off well. The kids were a little testy when we dropped by Grandma's house. Not a good sign. I leave quickly, hoping to avoid any huge meltdowns.
First store. Long line and not much selection, but there is one I would settle for if necessary. I'll come back.
Next store. I leave the kids in the car watching a movie while I run in. Too much selection and ridiculously high prices. It's not a wedding dress, people.
Kids are hungry. Back to the first store to buy the dress. Longer line. Kids come in to wait and touch everything. Please can we buy this, they ask. And this. And this. Please. I don't have the energy to fight. Okay sure. Yeah get one for your brother too. And your sister. Finally it's our turn and we buy the dress.
Now you might be thinking, what kind of parent gives in when their children whine for stuff at the store? Trust me, it's not something I usually do. But I find it hard to say no in the distribution center.
You don't need a picture of the temple in your room.
Or
I don't care if it's 10 cents, we already have enough Jesus pictures.
What kind of good LDS family has enough Jesus pictures? Especially the 10 cent variety. Apparently not ours.

1 comment:

liz said...

hehehe glad that trip went better than grandma's house. cute dress- can't wait to see a picture of her in it!