Saturday, January 06, 2007

RB

My running buddy, otherwise known as RB, called in sick today. It doesn't happen often, so when it d0es it leaves me in a quandry. To run or not to run. Hmmm. I am already awake, and I just fed the little bear. I better run. However, it is dark and my ipod is broken. And I hate to run by myself. It's now 2 to 3, not to run. But dang, that race is in less than a month. I fix the ipod and head out.
I used to run by myself all the time. When I first started, I didn't want anyone around when I waddled out the door for a total run of 1/8 of a mile. As I grew stronger and my runs grew longer, I started listening to music to pass the time and help keep up my speed. But I was never very consistent. Some weeks I'd be out on the pavement 4 days, others I'd miss entirely.
I found my first RB in California. She was just as inconsistent as I was when alone, but together, we hardly ever missed a day. We worked in strength training a few days a week and suddenly I was in better shape then I had been my whole life. It lasted less than a year. We moved. I was pregnant. Running went downhill.
I moved again. Looked for a new RB. Ran sometimes. Tried to train for a marathon, but injured myself because of my lack of short runs. Was out for a long time.
I went through a bout of physical therapy and finally felt ready to run again. We were moving, once again, to a new house. I would drop the kids off at school and drive to my soon-to-be neighborhood. I'd check on the house, put the little guy in a jogger, and run the streets.
It was here that she saw me. Sunday came and she asked if it was me out there running. I, embarassed, responded with apologies for her having to see me. I hate when people see me run. No, she said, she wanted to come with. I explained we hadn't moved in yet, but as soon as we did, I'd take her up on it.
We proceeded to not speak for another 4 months.
Finally my DH asked her if she would please run with me, so I would stop complaining about my lack of shape. Apparently we had both been too intimidated by the other to bring it up again. We started with barely a mile. Last year we finished a marathon.
Now some people are so self-motivated, they don't need anyone else to push them. I always have. Would I still run without a RB. Maybe, but it's just better when she's there.

1 comment:

liz said...

my best shape post-baby was when i had a running buddy. i miss her. :(