Thursday, February 22, 2007

Grand Canyon


I have this friend. She's a good friend, one of my dearest friends. We've been friends for what seems like forever. We are very different, in almost every aspect of our lives, and yet we remain friends. And now she's going through a hard time, probably one of the hardest of her life. She's on the verge of making a choice, a decision that will affect her entire life. And I can't do anything about it. Except be there for her when she wants to talk, and hope and pray that I can say something that will help. But I think she really just needs someone to listen.

We've all been there, at one time or another. Trials come as canyons in the middle of our journey, seemingly impossible to conquer, at yet, you can see the path on the other side. There is no way to get there besides taking it one step at a time, down into the canyon and then back up again, until finally you look back and realize you've made it.

I think about my trials. The ones that I've clawed my way out of, the ones I am down in the middle of. I know I have many more in store for me, waiting for a time when the journey is easy and life is good, to hit me dead on. The only way to get through, the only way I find peace, is to pray. Reassurance comes, not that everything will be fixed and not even that everything will be fine, but reassurance that I can handle it, that I'm strong enough or I will be made strong enough. And that comfort is how I've learned to deal.

I prayed for my friend, still am. And already prayers are being answered. And she recognizes it, and she is comforted.

1 comment:

liz said...

i love this post!

it totally reminded me of a really special time when i had a friend, also, making a really important decision that made me overwhelmed as a friend to know what to say. instead of avoiding her and worrying i wouldn't say the right thing i prayed really hard and the right words came out. later in her life she told me those conversations really helped her make a good decision(it was really the Lord, not me!).

thanks for reminding me of that part of being a friend, praying for them and myself at the same time- to know what I can do to help them in their lives. even if might be to listen and not say anything specific.

she is so lucky to have you as a friend!