Saturday, February 17, 2007

The desk

I am really starting to hate my blog. I've been messing with the template, hoping to find the excitement that comes with change. But everytime I log on nowadays, I loathe the way it looks, the words I've written, the vibe that radiates from it. I want to quit the blog.

However, I know you people, all 6 of you that read this drivel. I know how blog-esque you all are. I know you might shed a small tear if I were to give it up. So I shall tarry on, for you.

The princess and I finished her desk. It turned out way cute, although a tad different than I had imagined. When I explained the project to her, she was so excited to help as she's super crafty. I told her we were going to cut up pieces of scrapbook paper and glue them down to the top of her desk. Simple. Well we sit down with the scissors and both start cutting. I look up from my pile of nice large geometric shapes, and see her pile. She's cutting out tiny pieces of paper in odd shapes. I stop her and explain how if we do it that way, it will take forever and waste lots of paper, and ask her to try to cut bigger pieces. She does this and pretty soon we both are ready to glue. She takes one corner, I take the other. After I had shown her how to do it, I let her go. A few minutes later I look at what she's doing. She was doing it all wrong. I stop her and show her how to make sure the pieces touch, and to not leave big spaces of desk in between. She gets frustrated, asking why she can't just do it her way. Why can't she? Why is my way the better way? I don't have an answer to that.

So we finish it, and I let her do what she wants to do, not trying to fix anything to make it perfect. And it turned out awesome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cute. I am someone that also reads your blog that is probably not counted in those 6 people you mentioned. I relate to a lot of what you go through, and just like tonight, why can't she do it her way? That is totally me, good job having the power to let go, and let her be. I am working on that!

Beka said...

Melanie, I would be so sad if you stopped blogging. I feel like this whole blogging thing has really connected us as sisters. So please keep on truckin! I know it gets frustrating (I always threaten to delete mine also) but I am your number 1 fan!

I also think you are one of the most creative people I know. That desk is adorible and it's even more special because you did it together!

Melony said...

Thanks for the validation guys. I appreciate it.
Kristy, I think that because she's so much like ME, that she and I have a hard time. I have to constantly work on our relationship to make sure I'm not messing up bigtime. I hope I can catch her before she makes the same mistakes I did.
Beka, you are so sweet, even if you can't spell.