Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Food

I was unsure what to make for dinner tonight. I had planned something, but was running out of time and settled on a concoction my mother used to make. Now, there are a few things that I remember vividly from my childhood. One is being sat on by an unnamed older brother and having typewriter drilled into my sternum. Another is the fork incident which is, thanks to another brother, being laughed about by my husbands colleagues. And of course the football in the house game which a different brother can't seem to forget.

But besides the isolated events that occurred, there are certain foods that remind me of my childhood. I'm not sure if it's because we always ate the same things, or if these were just the ones that I relished. So here's the list. Feel free to add to it.

  • Shepherd's pie
  • Parmesan chicken-legs and thighs
  • Spaghetti
  • Lamanite sandwiches
  • Grilled cheese sandwiches made from slices of velveeta
  • Brownies
  • Shake n Bake pork chops
  • Tuna casserole-which I remember eating, but not liking
  • Campbells Bean with Bacon soup
  • Toast with avocado, salt, and pepper
  • Tacos
  • Rice pudding

Now these were items from my early childhood.

Later on came

  • Friday night Pizza Hut
  • Chicken enchiladas
  • Egg rolls
  • Brisket
  • Roast
  • Brownies

Mmmmm...

6 comments:

Beka said...

I remember the Broccoli/Cheese Cassorole, Golden Gate Sandwichs, No Bake Cookies, Rainbow Jello, and the potato salad (only on holidays).

MMMM Shepards Pie with Tator Tots!!!

Melony said...

How did I forget no bake cookies and potato salad?

Rachael said...

Hey Mel, we're having a dinner party at my house this Sunday evening and I was thinking of making those chicken enchiladas you made at Christmas. Is the recipe in the cookbook the same one?

Melony said...

No, it's in the revised edition of the cookbook that I was all up in arms about finishing and didn't. I'll send you the recipe via email. It's super easy.

The Empty Nesters said...

I needed to read a blog like this today. Thank you.

liz said...

OMIGOSH I hear about the same list ALL THE TIME from Mike.

Rakel is all "I just remember steak and lobster all the time!"