Saturday, September 01, 2007

What does 19 miles look like?

This is the water I drink all day long the day before the big run. Why? Because if you start out long miles already a little dehydrated, you're in for a BAD run. Really bad. Trust me on this, especially if you live in the desert like me. You'll never make it. Hey, even if you're not running you should drink lots of water. Or Diet Dr. Pepper, whichever you prefer.
This is my knee. It is under wraps. Why you ask? Because it likes to pop out every once in a while. So the night before a long one, I ice it. And I take 4 ibuprofen. Just in case.
This is the time I should go to bed. In reality, it is only the time my baby goes down. My bedtime is closer to 9:30PM. With the alarm set for 3:15AM. Is it any wonder I take naps?
Do you know how many mosquitoes are up and hungry in the early morning hours? Lots. Lots and lots. They start with the monsoons and die by October. Until then, we cover up. Do you know how bad this stuff smells? Do you know that when you sweat, the stuff wears off and the mosquitoes take that as an opportunity to attack? Because it does and they do.
Yes, this is in the AM hour. Can you believe that I am awake at that time? Because I cannot fathom it. I don't like to think about it.
These are the shoes. I have about 8 pairs of these shoes, 7 of which are retired. When you find a good running shoe, you stick by it. You revere it. Because it means that you can continue to run injury-free. Don't think for a minute that a shoe purchase is unimportant. It is the most significant part of running. It will make or break your career. Notice how they aren't cute? I had a hard time with that at first. Because everyone knows a girl wants cute running shoes. But cute running shoes will only cause you pain. Lesson learned.
Can you believe I have to carry all this with me?
I hope not, because I don't. I do the drop off. I have one water bottle on my person at all times and I drop off some at one spot and the rest at another. We then circle around those spots for all 19 miles. Is it an exciting route? No. But there's water every mile. Do you know that I will drink almost every drop of that water? Because I will.
This is our little crew. I'm the one with the hat. Can you believe we smile at 3:45 AM? I'm pretty sure it's because we are delirious. The girl in the middle is the Relief Society President, otherwise known as my Running Buddy. I knew her before she became President of the Relief Society, and before she was President of the Young Women and before her husband was Bishopric Counselor. I knew her just as Running Buddy. It's hard for me to take her seriously. But I have to try, seeing as how I'm her ever loyal Secretary and she'll put me in charge of something horribly awful if I don't at least pretend. Plus she always scares all the stray dogs away for me. I do not like stray dogs, ask anyone.
The other girl is the Relief Society President's sister. We like her a lot. She's always smiling like that. Even at 3:45 in the AM. Did I mention that we are up at the 3 o'clock hour?
So I won't show you pictures of the Glide or where I put it because that would turn this into another kind of site entirely. But it keeps the chaffing down and we all know there is nothing worse than coming home, peeling off sweat soaked clothes and stepping in the shower only to be hit by the intense pain of the salt that now covers your body being showered down along your chaffed nether regions. Nothing worse. Oh the pain.
I also won't show you pictures of what we look like after. Because it isn't pretty. And I won't tell you how long it takes us, because that isn't pretty either. Let's leave it to say that come marathon time in approximately 5 weeks, I hope to run a 4:20.
Why oh Why do I put myself through this?
I really don't know.

6 comments:

Megan said...

I feel so many emotions for you right now. Impressed at your ability, tired for you, jealous because I haven't gotten up to run in about 4 weeks. annoyed by the mesquitos and in pain over the chaffing! Way to keep it up and inspire the rest of us

Katie said...

You better take me seriously! And I not only scare stray dogs away from you, but I scare nice fluffy pet dogs away from you too! I wouldn't want you to die of heart failure on our runs! I depend too much on you talking for four hours straight! Can you talk!!! :-) I can't believe I have just made my first comment on a Blog! It didn't hurt as much as I thought!

Beka said...

Cody,

Welcome to the blog world. We have been waiting for you!

Melanie,

You are an inspiration.

Love Beka!

liz said...

you go girl (dang that's so 80s isn't i) but i can't think of a better comment to a mother of FOUR training for a marathon. you rock!

Melony said...

I feel so loved.
Megan-Don't be jealous or impressed. But go ahead and be tired and annoyed.
Cody-It doesn't become painful until you have to start posting to your own blog. We'll get you going on that.
Beka-Not so much on the inspiration, but definitely in on the perspiration.
Liz-I hope you had a Z snap when you said that. Then it would be perfect.

PassTheChips said...

You do it because for some reason, we enjoy torturing our bodies. I think it's for bragging rights.