Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Foohlar Genes Kick In



I could not have been more proud. ( Is it okay to be proud? I have a friend that doesn't like that word, something to do with pride being bad and the Nephites and utter destruction. I'll take my chances and use it. Proud. I cannot imagine another word for this feeling.)
Chance loves swimming. Always has. We have some fantabulous pictures of him at about 18 months swimming underwater like on the cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" only he's got swim trunks on. He's never had any fear or hesitation around water. So when one of our friends suggested swim team this year, we thought that it would be perfect for him.
Except for the meets. You know, the competition against other swimmers and the clock. Yeah, he had a hard time with that. He would go out and swim, but he knew he wasn't fast. And he seemed to be nonchalant about any ribbon he received, you know, like he didn't care. Being his mother, I could see through that. But he went, and he swam, and he seemed to be having fun, and that, my dears, is all that matters
So we haven't had any meets for a few weeks now. Last Saturday was the first in a while. It was at a high school that had two pools, one for the younger swimmers, one for the older. So our princess was in one, he in the other. We sat and chatted it up with our friends while we waited for their turns. Uncle Richard had shown up by now. They swam. Same as always, backstroke isn't really their strong stroke. Breast stroke was next. Uncle Richard says, hey isn't that Chance on the blocks? Umm yeah. The gun goes off and he goes. And he's fast. I mean really fast. He's right next to the leader, as you can see in the top picture, he's the guy on top. I remember looking at my husband in amazement. When did he get so fast? Look at him go! Go, Chance, SWIM! I yell as I follow him down the side of the pool, snapping pictures.
And he got second. He was beaming. It was fantastic.
In reporting this to my friend who taboos the proud word, she seemed amused. What? I ask. Apparently this whole competition thing is something she expects from us Foohlars. Apparently it is not surprising that one of my children would kick it at the end of a race. Apparently it's in our genes. Along with the losing things, freckles, and size 10 feet.
What's in your genes?

4 comments:

liz said...

I love this post~ My heart was racing while I read it like I was there!!!

i love being proud of my boy. I felt a little taste of it when Zane stole the soccer ball and made a goal one time, I was crazy proud and cheering him on. I didn't know I had that in me, but I don't think it's too bad of a thing. As long as I don't ever chew him out if he has an off day we are ALL GOOD.

p.s. mike you could have at least used the $ for s and then it's a little nicer.

Beka said...

Yeah I know exactly how you feel. One time gidget actually pooped on her pad. I to was jumping up and down with joy! One of my proudest parent moments.

p.s. when are there next meets? Brandon and I would be PROUD to go!

Wes said...

My mission president's wife always told us to say "well pleased," instead of "proud." Something about scriptural language. But I think you're good with "proud."

Melony said...

ptc-I meant kick it, as in running and you kick at the end. I would not say a$$ on my blog, as it's a family blog and can you imagine mom reading a$$?
liz-it's not quite an emotion you are prepared for when all you want your child to do is SMOKE the other kids. And i hear you about the whole, yelling-at-your-kid-if-they-don't-perform-well thing. Who does that?
Beka-this Sat at the Ahwahtukee pool. I'll send over directions. How exciting for you as a parent. I know potty training is a major hurdle. I never thought I'd get so excited about poop.
here comes everyone-I think that's what my dear friend was getting at. I'll try to use it sparingly, as I do with my meat.