Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Shoulda, woulda, coulda

A brother I have told me that he will never have a game system in his home because he doesn't want his kids to be freakshows about it like mine are. I too recall saying those exact same words. Here's a list of things I said I'd never do but have caved on:
  • Buying a game system-although it was grandma who bought it, we have updated the games and allowed the playing to happen
  • Letting the kids watch too much tv-somedays, not everyday. Discovery Channel's educational so it's okay, right?
  • Making them sit in a carseat past the required age of 5-I didn't realize how embarassing it was for little kids to have to sit in a booster
  • Saying "Because I said so"-quickest way to end an argument is by exerting the mom-authority
  • Letting the kids figure out their own problems with each other-I always thought I'd make a great mediator, making sure the fair punishment was dealt to the proper perpetrator. Yeah okay.
  • Letting the babies cry it out-I fix what I can, and accept that sometimes babies, just like us, need a good cry
  • Having a messy house-this is one I struggle with, because I really, Really, like a perfectly clean home. Oh for more time in the day, or a maid who worked for M 'n' M's.
  • Cooking a healthy vegetable laden dinner every night-more often than I like to admit we eat cereal, which my kids love. Who knew?
  • Buying cheap kids clothing-how I loved dressing my children in adorable expensive outfits, only to see them ruined a day later from the mud, or ketchup. For that, we shop at Target.
  • Driving a minivan-oh for the coolness of an suv, never thought I'd be a minivan girl. If gas were cheaper or I lived closer to civilization...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that before children came into my life, I had visions of what it would entail, how I'd be the best mom who never lost her patience, who always had cookies in the oven, who was fun and happy, basically the coolest mom in the hood. 4 children and a dose of reality later, I've realized that the mom I've become was not the one I envisioned. Am I okay with that? Sometimes. I'm not giving up, though. Someday, we will have a clean house and a real dinner everyday. Maybe I'll start by hiding the gamesystem.

2 comments:

Erin-lou said...

I sure hope that brother wasn't Richard...because as we all know what goes around comes around, and I'm already expecting a hellion.

liz said...

good post. I bet there are so many -too many to list- decisions that you have made as a mother that are far more important than this list of your "caves" (which are not bad ones in my opinion).

;=)