Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Luau

So we went to a Blue and Gold Banquet a few weeks ago. For all the uninitiated, that's a scouting thing. And not being one to look forward to church food, I ate before we left.
However...
They were serving Hawaiian Haystacks, which I've had before but never like this.
They used a sauce made from dry italian dressing and cream cheese and cream of chicken, which I couldn't have but I had made before so I knew what it tasted like. It's basically Liz's crockpot cream cheese chicken.
But the killer part was the toppings. My favorites were:
  • Red peppers
  • Green onions
  • Coconut
  • Pineapple
  • Slivered Almonds
  • Cheese

All of this over rice. I know this sounds like an awfully simple thing, but I have been craving it ever since. So last night I made it for my family. And it was delicious, even if Em and I were the only ones eating it. It meant leftovers for lunch. Mmmm...

Back to the Blue and Gold, they had an elder from Samoa, I think, in our area. He got up on stage and did what one could only call a modern version of traditional dance. The music he was dancing to was almost techno-like. It was quite funny, but the best part came after he was done. He got his two companions, two of the whitest boys I've ever seen come out of Idaho, up on stage and they danced with him. It looked like they had practiced beforehad, as the two elders were trying their best to keep up their moves. It was a complete lack of rhthym. And the music was sooo loud, it even got the stake out of their offices to come watch. The whole building was there to see these elders. And the best part was the samoan elder, didn't want to stop. They had to tell him enough after like 15 minutes. I'm not sure if the scouts appreciated it, but the rest of us did.

Can you imagine the memories those two elders will have of their mission? "Well son, on my mission, we took the stage at a rockin' Blue and Gold and shook our moneymakers for the Stake President."

5 comments:

PassTheChips said...

I love Hawaiian haystacks. Had them all the time on my mission.

My other favorite was Hiroshima haystacks. Rice, lettuce, potato chips, chicken, tomatoes, and hot sauce. MMMMMMM!

Anonymous said...

We had our B&G banquet last night, also a Hawaiian theme, serving hawaiian haystacks, which I have never heard of before. The lady in charge looked at me like I was an idiot when I asked her how to make the chicken she wanted me to bring. Anyhow, long story short, they were good, something new for my dinner repertoire!

Beka said...

Hawaiian Haystacks = Heaven

The Empty Nesters said...

Apparently, next family dinner -- Hawaiian Haystacks! Unless it's for Kevin's birthday, and then it's cheeseburgers.

Rachael said...

But I want Hawaiian Haystacks..