Friday, October 10, 2008

Brick walls all around me

Do you, any of you, wonder why I post? I mean, what is the point of my blog? To marvel at my children? To find humor in the mundane? To discuss running? The answer is, yes.

Do you ever wonder why I don't post more personal topics? It isn't that I don't enjoy a good laugh/cry or testimony building experience. I love reading all about yours, so please, by all means, continue. It's just that emotionally charged stories and such are hard for me. Don't get me wrong, I can definitely pour my heart out over the keyboard. I just have a hard time letting you look at them.

Why is that? What is it about me, that doesn't like showing you, my faithful readers, my innermost thoughts and feelings and experiences?

Honestly, I'm not sure.

Do I fear judgement? Yes, but that's not the whole of it. Here, I will try to explain.

You know how you find yourself sitting in a pew on the first Sunday of the month? Here you are, minding your own business, tending to the needs of your children, poking your husband awake, listening with one ear and one eye. And suddenly you know. You know you're going to get up. You don't want to, you try to suppress. But you know. And pretty soon you are standing, your feet are taking you to the front of the chapel, up to the pulpit, and you find yourself sharing the one thing most sacred to you, for all to hear. And your heart is bleeping out of your ribs and your face is red all the way down to your chest and you are avoiding any and all eye contact, and you are talking 800 words a minute.

Phew, and you're done.

But see, that's not the worst part. The worst part, in my opinion, is the aftermath. It's the smiles and the pats on the back and the "I really liked your testimony" comments that come for the next few hours. Why does this bother me? I mean, isn't the whole point of sharing so that others can get something out of it? So that we can lift each other as a whole? Why do I cringe at every compliment? Why do I wish I could just go home and forget the whole thing?

I think, and I could be wrong, but for me, I think it's because I've let myself become vulnerable. I've exposed the real me, raw and open for all to see and, let's face it, judge. (We're not even discussing the whole problem of "What if I said it wrong?" I know there are rules, I read the Ensign. What if I thanked instead of testified? What if I used the wrong words or stumbled over my thoughts incoherently? What if I sounded like an illiterate? These are real worries.)

This problem of showing my vulnerability trickles down to my blog as well. I just can't. I've tried a few times, but end up removing the post or posting a lot until the offending post gets relegated to the archives. I can't even look at it, much less the comments.

So for now, I will keep my personal stuff personal. And I will continue to enlighten you with my wit and charm, my children and my professor, my running. You know, my regular life.

4 comments:

Beka said...

I agree with you 100%. After the miscarriage, I always cringed when people, who I barely knew, would come up to me and give me a hug and their condolences. I just wanted to run away from the situation. I hated those feelings though because I knew they were just trying to help and be nice. But I like what you said about it being a personal experience and not really wanted to share that with anyone else.

I like your witty posts about your hubby and children. BUT just so you know, since I am so addicted to blogging, especially your blog, a lot of the times I see your posts before you erase them. They will be our secrets though! :)

PassTheChips said...

I see them too! And I like them.

Eva said...

I know exactly what you mean about the brick walls. I;m a fan of those myself.
I got kind of used to posting almost personal stuff because the only people who read my blog were strangers and family. Now people in the ward know where to find me and It makes me all kinds of nervous.

lmbrady said...

Hi friend! So glad I found your blog! Yeah- I blogged something very personal too, posted it and then have had all kinds of comments about my experiences. But for me it felt kindof good to get it out. I'm such a personal, strong person that I wonder if people think everything is always ok with me. They just found out otherwise!
Love ya!
Lezlie

I know where to find you, Eva!
I also love your blog!