Wednesday, December 06, 2006

One-handed

One reason I haven't posted much as of late-it's hard to type one-handed. Seeing as I have a small bundle in one arm, it leaves only one hand to punch out keys, which is waaaaaaay too slow a way to type. Today however, I have mastered holding an infant and using both hands. I just hope she doesn't fall off my shoulders.

Other things I can now do one handed-
Open a can of soda without spilling it on her
Sign my name
Cook spaghetti
Brush Emme's hair(she doesn't like it when I do this)
Make lunches for the kids
Drive(Settle down, I'm not holding her, just keeping her binky in while she sits in her carseat)

Yesterday I had one of those moments every mother lives for, when you finally get a glimpse of your children being kind, helpful, and well-behaved, all at the same time. Those moments are fleeting, and need to be cherished. We were at the store, the smallest needed to be held, her brother just woke up cranky from a nap, and the two eldest had just arrived home from a long day at school. It had all the ingredients for a disaster. But the elder brother took his little brother by the hand, and my daughter took the shopping basket. I told her what to put in, while the two boys went to the bathroom. She checked me out at the selfscan, the boys came back and carried the bags to the car. They did all this without arguing over who got to do what and their baby sister got a chance to be comforted to sleep.
Candy seemed like such a small reward for their efforts, but it was well received.

3 comments:

liz said...

thanks for writing about it, that makes me a little less scared about the prospect of growing my family.

Rachael said...

That was an adorable post, Mel. Your kids are the cutest.

Beka said...

I can't believe how grown up they are.