Monday, December 18, 2006

Christmas cards

I have nothing of importance to say today. I am just feeling the guilt at not having updated for weeks. I am a blog slacker. I am however impressed with the other things I have accomplished in the past few weeks. The one I am most impressed with is the mailing of my Christmas cards. This is a fight every year with the professor. He gets frustrated that I even attempt. His reasoning being that out of the 10 Christmases we have shared together, I have actually mailed out all my Christmas cards exactly never. Some years I get some cards mailed, while the others get filed away after Christmas. Other years I buy all the items I need but never finish making the cards. Some years I get the cards made, addressed, and even stamped, but fail to make it to the post office. Last year I even accepted defeat early by buying cheap cards, and reasoning that if I didn't get them sent, I was only out a couple bucks. I didn't get them sent. You can understand his impatience with this yearly tradition. But this year was different. I went to great lengths to buy matching shirts, have someone take our picture, buy photo paper to go with the new printer, cut, glue, and tie cards together for not only our family, but also friends, old and new. This took, from start to finish, about 2 weeks. I could see the skepticism in his eyes as I worked on them. His head would shake when I told him I was just about done. A "Whatever" came out of his mouth as I put them in my purse and headed to buy stamps. I don't think he actually believes I mailed them, by the 15th of December no less. But, I did. This was a personal victory. I started and finished my Christmas cards. I can be responsible and trusted with this job. However, if I was you, I would keep this years' card for next Christmas. It might be a few more years before you see another one.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

I got your card today! It was adorable. And I don't slip too often enough for me to not go ice skating on Saturday!

Beka said...

YES!!!! Brandon and I are going too!!!! I am excited to see your card when I get home!

Melony said...

You guys are so cute. That is why I love sending out cards, to put a little bit of excitement in getting the mail.
We're on for ice skating.

liz said...

your christmas card was by far the best this year! I imagine it might hold 1st place next year too- your effort was appreciated by my family.